Saturday 9 August 2014

Through the Key Hole


I have a small confession to make. I no longer live in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. I am now south of the water in a leafy suburb called Low Fell, which is in Gateshead. Rest assured this is only a stone’s throw away from Newcastle so I will still be keeping up to date with all things Newcastle but it is not, as my husband describes it, “a suburb of Newcastle”.
“Oh, how the mighty have fallen” I hear you cry, and I couldn’t agree more! I had become accustomed to living in Jesmond, and its array of pretentious amenities; Starbucks on the corner, Bars, Restaurants, Deli’s galore (so I could gorge on sun dried tomatoes to my heart's content) and the most expensive Tesco outside of Central London. The bubble had to burst sometime as both the Husband and I wanted to buy a house. No more hearing every movement of the upstairs flat - whether this be giggling drunk girls at 4am (when we had to be up for work at 6am) or the far too familiar sound of trips to the toilet. I could barely contain my excitement!
Unfortunately our budget couldn’t quite stretch to a house in Jesmond; upwards of £300k is the average asking price in case you were wondering, and to be honest, the most desirable locations in the Newcastle area come with a price tag, so our attention turned to Gateshead. This is not somewhere I had previously considered, and trust me there have been quite a few non-negotiables when house-hunting; free reign over the décor, a pair of Hunter Wellies for my walk to the bus, and a Fulton Umbrella. Love can do funny things to you, and I'm here in Low Fell with a driveway, stairs, a utility room and a garden - things that I never thought I cared about, but now couldn’t live without.
So I thought what better way to get reacquainted with my readers than to give you a sneaky peak into my house.





No comments:

Post a Comment